Today, October 31st, is Halloween! We decorate our homes with spooky and fun decorations, go out trick or treating, and count all of the candy you got!
In this blog post, we will be making our own expanding Jack-O-Lantern using science!
Materials You Will Need:
- An orange balloon
- A permanent marker
- Empty and clean plastic water bottle
- A cup of baking soda
- A cup of vinegar
- An adult science helper with you!
Now, follow the steps below to create your expanding Jack-O-Lantern!
- Draw your own Jack-O-Lantern face on the orange balloon with your permanent marker.
- Fill the empty and clean plastic water bottle halfway with vinegar.
- Then, pour the baking soda into the balloon.
- Now, strech the opening of the balloon over the lip of the plastic bottle, without letting any of the baking soda spill out.
- Then, squeeze the end of the balloon so that the baking soda gets dropped into the vinegar.
- Now, watch as the Jack-O-Lantern (balloon) expands! This is because of the Carbon dioxide gas that is being produced through the reaction of baking soda and vinegar!
Nice job! You completed the Halloween experiment and have another spooky decoration for Halloween: the expanding Jack-O-Lantern!